Contemporary Dance for the Ageless and Unstoppable is a dance arts based 8-week (or longer) residency with a culminating performance presentation for older adults in Senior Centers, Retirement Living, and Assisted Living Communities
In Contemporary Dance for the Ageless and Unstoppable, participants will enjoy doing dance-based activities to music in a class designed to accommodate the needs of older adults. The general class format is to commence seated in chairs, and progress to standing behind the chairs for balance support, then traveling dance exercises. Depending on the levels of mobility the program may also be taught completely seated. Together we will explore elements of contemporary dance forms in ways that are enjoyable, mentally stimulating, creative, and that spark the aesthetic imagination. Music energizes, enriches, and empowers the movement while learning contemporary dance warmup combinations, a choreographed storytelling dance with the use of imagery and a brainteaser, a stunning repertory dance, and creating themed dances together. All levels of mobility are welcome. No dance experience is required. The class is a comfortable pace. The goal is fun! Welcome to a class that is rigorous, creative, and based in the Arts.
Nonprofits – want more info on easy Nebraska Arts Council grant application? Visit CAAP Grant page: Creative Aging through the Arts Program (CAAP)
Not a Nonprofit? – Contact Ruth Davidson Hahn directly for more information about bringing this residency to your location. Please call 402-540-1242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dancing Makes You Smarter
The 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, was led by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, funded by the National Institute on Aging, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
% = Reduced Risk of Dementia
0% in Bicycling, swimming or playing golf
35% in Reading
47% in Doing crossword puzzles at least four days a week
76% in Dancing Frequently
Quoting Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who wrote an accompanying commentary: “The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use.”
- Reduces stress and depression.
- Increases energy and serotonin.
- Improves flexibility, strength, balance, endurance.
- Strengthens bones and boosts cardiovascular health.
- Increases mental capacity by exercising our cognitive process.
- Dynamic and rapid-fire decision making, creates new neural paths.
Celebrate Life Through Dance
Residency Taught by:
Ruth Davidson Hahn, professional teacher, choreographer, dancer, a Stanley J. Wertheimer Fellow specially trained in the Dance for PD® method, and specially trained with Lifetime Arts, national leaders in creative aging program development
Why Contemporary Dance for the Ageless and Unstoppable?
- Dance develops flexibility and instills confidence.
- Dance is first and foremost a stimulating mental activity that connects mind to body.
- Dance breaks isolation.
- Dance invokes imagery in the service of graceful movement.
- Dance focuses attention on eyes, ears and touch as tools to assist in movement and balance.
- Dance increases awareness of where all parts of the body are in space.
- Dance tells stories.
- Dance sparks creativity.
- The basis of dance is rhythm.
- The essence of dance is joy.
Contemporary Dance for the Ageless and Unstoppable is the intellectual property of Ruth Davidson Hahn & Company