As a preventative measure to decrease risk associated with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Ruth Davidson Hahn & Company has suspended in-person Dance for Parkinson’s classes until further notice. We are now offering Dance for Parkinson’s weekly remote classes. Registration is required and free.
A wonderful and innovative program for older adults in Senior Centers, Retirement Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care Communities
The Movement & Music program for older adults in Senior Centers, Retirement Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care Communities, is taught in the internationally acclaimed Dance for PD® (Parkinson’s disease) method in which participants explore movement and music in ways that are enjoyable, stimulating and creative.
Dancing Makes You Smarter
The 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, was led by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, funded by the National Institute on Aging, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
% = Reduced Risk of Dementia
0% in Bicycling, swimming or playing golf
35% in Reading
47% in Doing crossword puzzles at least four days a week
76% in Dancing Frequently
Quoting Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who wrote an accompanying commentary: “The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use.”
- Reduces stress and depression.
- Increases energy and serotonin.
- Improves flexibility, strength, balance, endurance.
- Strengthens bones and boosts cardiovascular health.
- Increases mental capacity by exercising our cognitive process.
- Dynamic and rapid-fire decision making, creates new neural paths.
Celebrate Life Through Dance
Ruth Davidson Hahn, professional teacher, choreographer, dancer and a Stanley J. Wertheimer Fellow specially trained in the Dance for PD® method.
Participating Lincoln Locations:
- Legacy Retirement Communities
- The Landing at Williamsburg Village
- Savannah Pines Resort Lifestyle Retirement Community
- The Lexington Assisted Living Center
- Aging Partners
- Grand Lodge at the Preserve
- Brentwood Estates, Independent Living
- Madonna Proactive Medical Fitness
- Fallbrook Assisted Living
- The Windcrest on Van Dorn
To schedule a free Movement & Music Presentation and Class Demonstration at your location, or for more information about the program and bringing it to your facility please call 402-540-1242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Movement & Music?
- Dance develops flexibility and instills confidence.
- Dance is first and foremost a stimulating mental activity that connects mind to body.
- Dance breaks isolation.
- Dance invokes imagery in the service of graceful movement.
- Dance focuses attention on eyes, ears and touch as tools to assist in movement and balance.
- Dance increases awareness of where all parts of the body are in space.
- Dance tells stories.
- Dance sparks creativity.
- The basis of dance is rhythm.
- The essence of dance is joy.
DANCE FOR PD is a Registered Service Mark of Mark Morris Dance Group and Brooklyn Parkinson Group
Dance for PD® class Photo by Johan Henckens/MMDG